The worst part of dealing with a new (or newly restored) computer is installing all of the software that we need to actually get stuff done. If you have an Internet-connection and some anti-virus software, I recommend heading over to Ninite: a website that will create an all-in-one unattended installer to get all of that software you need.
Just check the boxes of the software you want, click get installer, then run the downloaded file. Ninite takes care of the rest. No clicking “Next” or anything like that.
- Google Chrome
- either Pidgin (if you use multiple chat services) or the single IM service you use
- K-Lite Codecs
- Foxit Reader [beats the pants off of Adobe Reader]
- Essentials [if you haven’t already downloaded it, which should have been your first step…]
- Dropbox [a must if you have more that one computer]
- Steam [if you’re a gamer, anyway]
Click “Get Installer,” which will download a single program that you can, when connected to the Internet, run and walk away from. All your selected software will be installed and when its finished, you’re new computer will be good to go.